The way I like my cheesecake

It's the start to the New Year and doom and gloom are all plastered over the newspapers.  So is your glass half empty or half full this year?  The good news is that you have another 12 months to make your 2012 count so don't start expecting the worse.

New year, new era, new KPIs for yourself, new action, new friends, new accomplishments, new ways to be a blessing, new words to raise spirits, new challenges to meet, new joys to uncover, new memories to make, and of course, new recipes to share.

I harken to Joshua when he was tasked to lead the people into the Promise Land after Moses' death.  New era, new beginning, and God assured him that He will not forsake him and  that Joshua be strong and courageous and do what is according to the law, and not turn to the left or to the right.  For then God will make his way prosperous and successful.  (Joshua 1)

So take heart my friends!  HE will not forsake us!


My first recipe for 2012, is my favorite-test, cheesecake.  I baked it over New Year's eve for a small family gathering.  It's quite a solid cheesecake, not the soft crumbly kind.  It's thick, slightly lemony and packed with cheese goodness, the way I like my cheesecake.

Ingredients


  • 2 packets of cream cheese (I use Philadelphia cream cheese)
  • 2 eggs, separate egg yolks and egg whites
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar depending on level of sweetness (I use just 1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon rind
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
  • 200g of Digestive biscuits
  • 100g of melted butter

Method
  1. Heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
  2. Make the biscuit base first by crushing Digestive biscuits.  I put the biscuits into a large ziplock bag and crush it with my rolling pin.
  3. Pour the crumbs into a bowl and add melting butter and 1 tablespoon of sugar
  4. Press the mixture to fill the bottom of your baking dish.  I use a pie dish for this.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes at 170 degree Celsius then remove from oven and let it cool.

Now for the cheese cake.
  1. Separate 2 egg yolks from the 2 egg whites.
  2. Cream 1 packet of cream cheese with 1 egg yolk.
  3. Only when it is well mixed, add the second packet of cream cheese and the other egg yolk
  4. Continue to mix until the mixture is consistent
  5. Add vanilla essence, lemon rind and lemon juice and mix well
  6. Beat the 2 egg whites into a foam with an egg beater
  7. Gently fold in the egg white foam until it is mixed.  Fold, do not stir
  8. Fill the pie dish with the cheese mixture

   
   8.  Bake for 45 minutes at 170 degree Celsius
   9.  Let it cool and leave it in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours

Here's a tip on how to slice cheesecake.  You dip your knife into hot water before slicing each time.  


My perfect cheesecake!

Enjoy!  You can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days and it'll taste just as good.  Till my next post, God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts