Beer-battered fish and prawns

To date, I have uploaded several fish recipes even though I don't quite fancy eating fish.  It's a good thing because I'm finding fun ways to cook fish that tickle my taste buds.  This latest recipe I promise is good.  My taste buds totally approve.  Confirm, double confirm!

I came back from a business trip in New York recently and had a couple of days to rest at home before going back to the grind (as my boss puts it).  I was home checking out Food Network Asia (one of my favorite channels) and I chanced upon Robin Miller and this recipe.  She cooked it with 4 slabs of fish fillet (I don't remember what fish she used) and I decided to try it using smaller slices of halibut instead, PLUS, I also used prawns (big grey prawns) and tweaked the recipe slightly to suit my taste.  It turned out delicious.  I could open a fish and chips (and prawns) outlet with this.  I'm serious.  The recipe also comes with an exotic Mandarin orange sambal dip!  This is the first time I have tried this very unusual yet sweet and spicy dip that is perfect with the fish and prawns.  I highly recommend this.

What is golden brown and crispy ... fish could never taste better!

Ingredients
  • 10 to 12 slices of halibut (about 1-2 inches wide and 6-7 inches long)
  • 8 to 10 big grey prawns
  • About 3 to 4 cups of plain flour separated into 2 parts
  • 1 can of beer (I used Stella Artois)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 egg beaten
  • Italian mixed herbs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Oil (I used Rice Oil)

Mandarin orange dip ingredients


  • 1 can of drained Mandarin orange
  • 2 tablespoons of sambal belacan (I used Glory Sambal Belacan).  Alternatively, you can use curry paste.
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • Chopped Chinese parsley

Method 
(Let's prepare the fish and prawns)
  • Sprinkle salt, pepper and Italian herbs on both sides of fish slices and prawns.
  • Heat oil in a deep wok - enough for deep frying.
  • Use 2 separate containers for this.  In 1 container, add 1-part of the flour as mentioned in the ingredients.  In the other container, whisk the other part of flour with 1 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 to 1 can of beer, 1 beaten egg and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.


  • Dip fish first into plain flour.  Make sure to dust off the excess flour.

  • Dip floured-fish into batter mixture and coat evenly.
  • Deep fry fish until golden brown on each side (it took about 3-5 minutes on each side)
  • Repeat the same with prawns (take note that the prawns cook faster)
  • Remove and drain in a plate lined with kitchen tower to soak up the excess oil before serving.

(Let's prepare the Mandarin orange sambal dip)
  • Drain juice from can of Mandarin orange - discard.
  • Add sambal belacan, lemon juice and chopped Chinese parsley to drained Mandarin orange and mix well.
Serve as a dip

There you have it.  A simple-to-do recipe which turned out surprising fabulous!  The fish and prawns fritters were crispy and tasty.  I serve them with brown rice and salad on the side and the must-have sweet & spicy Mandarin orange sambal dip!  You can actually taste the alcohol in the batter, but it isn't overwhelming, just a hint which is what I really enjoyed.  Have a go at it and let me know how it turns out for you!  Enjoy and God bless!  Till next time, happy cooking!




    Freely you have received, freely give. (Matthew 10:8)

    Comments

    1. What an amazing recipe! It looks so delcious!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Stella! It's really quite yummy. If you try it, let me know how it turns out. Happy cooking!

        Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts