Of beef, radish and carrot soup

Recently my niece sent me a video of her one-year-old enjoying his new found freedom - walking!  That's one small step for him, a big leap for his confidence and a giant separation anxiety for mommy!  Have legs and walk.  Before you know it, he'll be leaping over the tallest buildings, conquering the highest mountains and diving into the deepest oceans .  So drama ... my daughter would say.  I grin.

Our kids will grow up and we will have to learn to let go and TRUST.  How?  Trust them to God and pray that we've taught them about God and how to trust God to make the right decisions - themselves.

Bottom line is - we can never protect them enough from the temptations of the world.  We can't be there all the time.  But its our duty to guide them so that they will make the right choices.  God gave us the freedom of choice, and we need to make those choices wisely.

TRUST this age-old saying, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6).


And talking about choices - two Saturdays ago, I just felt like making a hearty soup for dinner.  It was between a good old chicken soup or beef soup.  I went for the beef.  So I dug out my slow cooker to cook this very simple-to-prepare, hearty beefy root veggie soup.


Ingredients

  • 500g of beef (I used tender chuck)
  • 1 radish
  • 2 carrots
  • 3-4 star anise
  • 1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs
  • 1 tablespoon of Marmite
  • salt and a dash of sugar for taste





Method

  1. Cut the tender chuck, radish and carrots into big pieces
  2. Place them into a slow cooker
  3. Add spices
  4. Fill 3/4 of slow cooker with water
  5. Add Marmite and salt to taste.  (I also added a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar)
  6. Cook over 5 hours stirring occasionally
You can also cook this over the stove if you don't have a slow cooker.  Boil for an hour or till beef is tender.  I prefer the slow cooker because I can just leave the cooker to do the job.  The beef is so soft and tender, the radish and the carrots are soft but not mushy.  It's a complete meal with just a humble bowl of rice.


Enjoy and till the next post, God bless!

Comments

Popular Posts